Basic Tutorial: Adding a Special Ability
- To create a new special ability, click on 'Database' on the upper menu, and from the drop-down menu, choose 'Add Spcial Ability...' or by using 'CTRL+C' hotkey combination.
- The Special Ability editor operates a little differently from the other database editors. Instead of just clicking a button to get a special screen, you add new Special Abilities right from this screen. I typed the name of the new special ability in the box and clicked 'New Special Ability'. The name can be anything, I chose one that is descriptive of what I want to use it for.
- This special ability will show that a monster is "tired", so I choose a scripting Hook from the list, in this case "CharCombatStatus" and type that in the box.
- In order to proceed, something must be typed in this box. Because the script is so short, I entered it here, but I could have have entered anything and edited in a leter step in the Script Editor.
- I chose that the line I just added is a 'Script'. (Any time a Hook is used, this is the choice.)
- I want to make sure that my script is correctly written, even though it's a short one. So, I choose 'Edit Line'. to open the Script Editor.
- Since I have already written my script to show that a monster is "tired", all I need to do in the Script Editor is check the script's syntax. A pop-up will tell me that the script is "OK" (if there were an error, a dialog with details about the error would pop up).
- Unlike other databases, the special ability is a "secondary" thing, needing to be "attacked" to something else - something in one of ther other databases: item, monster, spell, baceclass, class, race, spell group, or trait. More about this in the intermediate tutorial.
Back to Design Tutorials
Back to Designer's Guide Index